Just how effective flu vaccines are in terms of preventing flu illnesses to hit you? The answer to that question will vary depending on the season actually. The efficacy of the vaccine will also vary as per the person vaccinated.
2 Things that Affect a Vaccine’s Performance
There are at least a couple of factors that contribute in determining the probability that flu vaccine would protect someone from an illness:
- The characteristic of a person who is being vaccinated similar to their health and age and;
- Similarity or match between the flu virus in which the vaccine is designed for
Throughout the years when flu vaccine isn’t matched to circulating the influenza virus, it is feasible that there is little or no advantage from flu vaccination.
Throughout the years, when there’s a nice match between the circulating virus and flu vaccine, it is feasible to measure the huge benefits from having flu vaccine in relation to preventing the flu to progress and suffering from any other complications.
Effectiveness of the Vaccine
On the other hand, even throughout years when there’s good match of flu vaccine, the advantage of having flu vaccine would still vary which depends on different factors such as:
- Characteristic of the individual who was vaccinated
- Influenza viruses that currently circulates in that given season and;
- Type of flu vaccine injected